BJP for consensus among political parties on Khaps
Chandigarh: Amid the raging debate over the
authority of Khap panchayats, BJP today chose to tread
cautiously on the issue, favouring a consensus among political
parties to deal with the self-styled caste councils.
"I think consensus among parties on how to deal with the
issue would be better. It would be better if there is
unanimity in dealing with such delicate issues," BJP chief
Nitin Gadkari told reporters here.
His remarks came when asked about his party`s stand on
various Khaps demanding amendments in the Hindu Marriage Act
to ban same sub-caste (gotra) marriages.
When reminded that some leaders including Congress MP
Navin Jindal and INLD chief Om Prakash Chautala had already
come out in support of the Khaps, he said in a healthy society
it is better to have a consesus to tackle delicate issues like
The Khaps in Haryana have been hogging the headlines for
their diktats on couples marrying within the same sub-castes.
The BJP chief said while parties can find ways to deal
with the issue, those violating the law should be dealt as per
law of the land.
He would be holding a meeting with party leaders from
Punjab and Haryana and discuss the issue with them, Gadkari
The National Human Rights Commission today came down
heavily on `Khap panchayats` and warned them against taking
the law in their hands in the name of tradition and said the
issue of banning marriages in the same sub-caste was a subject
of wider debate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- Yuvraj Singh trolls R Ashwin for photobombing his picture with Virat Kohli – See pic!