BJP for consensus among political parties on Khaps
Chandigarh: Amid the raging debate over the
authority of Khap panchayats, BJP today chose to tread
cautiously on the issue, favouring a consensus among political
parties to deal with the self-styled caste councils.
"I think consensus among parties on how to deal with the
issue would be better. It would be better if there is
unanimity in dealing with such delicate issues," BJP chief
Nitin Gadkari told reporters here.
His remarks came when asked about his party`s stand on
various Khaps demanding amendments in the Hindu Marriage Act
to ban same sub-caste (gotra) marriages.
When reminded that some leaders including Congress MP
Navin Jindal and INLD chief Om Prakash Chautala had already
come out in support of the Khaps, he said in a healthy society
it is better to have a consesus to tackle delicate issues like
The Khaps in Haryana have been hogging the headlines for
their diktats on couples marrying within the same sub-castes.
The BJP chief said while parties can find ways to deal
with the issue, those violating the law should be dealt as per
law of the land.
He would be holding a meeting with party leaders from
Punjab and Haryana and discuss the issue with them, Gadkari
The National Human Rights Commission today came down
heavily on `Khap panchayats` and warned them against taking
the law in their hands in the name of tradition and said the
issue of banning marriages in the same sub-caste was a subject
of wider debate.
- Agusta Westland chopper deal: Turning approver is out of question, says Italian middleman Christian Michel
- Google Chrome overtakes Internet Explorer to be crowned top web browser
- Delhi petrol pump staff allegedly dupe a guy and then say - "Our boss knows Kejriwal personally"
- This Carat keeps your phone battery healthy!
- Growth falls to 15-year low in Sub-Saharan Africa: IMF