BJP for debate in LS on defence preparedness
New Delhi: With the country`s defence preparedness coming under sharp focus, senior BJP leader Jaswant Singh on Tuesday sought a comprehensive discussion in the Lok Sabha on the sensitive issue.
Singh, a former Defence Minister, raised the issue during Zero Hour asking the government to come forward to allay the apprehensions being raised about national defence preparedness.
The effectiveness of the armed forces and the country`s defence preparedness was being questioned, he said and sought a proper discussion on all aspects of the issue.
Singh said he had moved a notice to suspend the Question Hour on the matter as the issue was of prime importance.
The BJP leader`s demand came in the wake of the recent scandal involving Indian Army`s orders for Tatra trucks and the Army Chief raising concern over shortage of equipment.
The Parliamentary Standing Committee on Defence has also decided to carry out a "comprehensive" review of defence preparedness and bring out a report.
In a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Army Chief VK Singh had reportedly contended that the forces were "devoid of critical ammunition" to defeat enemy movement, air defence was "97 per cent obsolete" and the infantry was crippled with "deficiencies of crew served weapon" and lacked night fighting capabilities.
The parliamentary panel, which is looking into the budgetary allocations of the Defence Ministry for 2012-13, is considering issuing summons to senior officials from the three services as well as the Defence Ministry on the issue of preparedness.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- West Bengal Assembly Elections: Polling begins in crucial fifth phase, 680 central forces companies deployed
- Severe heat wave condition in West Bengal
- Kerela HSE (Class 12) Result 2016 is likely to be declared by second week of May
- No instances of incursions by Chinese troops into Indian territory: Manohar Parrikar
- Haryana government strips former CM Bhupinder Singh Hooda off cabinet rank