BJP for debate in LS on defence preparedness
New Delhi: With the country`s defence preparedness coming under sharp focus, senior BJP leader Jaswant Singh on Tuesday sought a comprehensive discussion in the Lok Sabha on the sensitive issue.
Singh, a former Defence Minister, raised the issue during Zero Hour asking the government to come forward to allay the apprehensions being raised about national defence preparedness.
The effectiveness of the armed forces and the country`s defence preparedness was being questioned, he said and sought a proper discussion on all aspects of the issue.
Singh said he had moved a notice to suspend the Question Hour on the matter as the issue was of prime importance.
The BJP leader`s demand came in the wake of the recent scandal involving Indian Army`s orders for Tatra trucks and the Army Chief raising concern over shortage of equipment.
The Parliamentary Standing Committee on Defence has also decided to carry out a "comprehensive" review of defence preparedness and bring out a report.
In a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Army Chief VK Singh had reportedly contended that the forces were "devoid of critical ammunition" to defeat enemy movement, air defence was "97 per cent obsolete" and the infantry was crippled with "deficiencies of crew served weapon" and lacked night fighting capabilities.
The parliamentary panel, which is looking into the budgetary allocations of the Defence Ministry for 2012-13, is considering issuing summons to senior officials from the three services as well as the Defence Ministry on the issue of preparedness.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal