BJP for early call on JD(U) MPs` disqualification
New Delhi: The changed political equations between the BJP and the JD(U) on Thursday played out in the open in a Parliamentary panel when the main opposition demanded an early decision on disqualification of three MPs of its erstwhile ally.
The agenda regarding the JD(U) petition to disqualify three of its Lok Sabha MPs - Rajiv Ranjan Singh `Lalan`, Sushil Singh and Mangni Lal Mandal - is pending for months with the Privileges Committee of the Lok Sabha.
During the meeting, panel chief P C Chacko informed members that the petitioner JD(U) Deputy Leader in the lower house Ranjan Prasad Yadav has sought more time on going ahead with the plea to disqualify the members under Schedule X of Disqualification Act.
BJP members Shahnawaz Hussain and Ananth Kumar expressed displeasure over the failure of JD(U) to make up its mind on the issue. They told Chacko that Yadav be asked to appear before the panel and inform whether his party wants to press for the disqualification, sources said.
They said due to the continuous postponement of agenda, the fate of the three "poor" MPs was hanging in the balance and there is no "forward movement" on the issue.
Some members claimed that BJP pressed for moving ahead with the issue based on documents despite Yadav seeking more time to appear before the panel.
But BJP members insisted that they did not press for going ahead and had only demanded calling Yadav to "take forward" the issue.
Some members of the committee took a dig at BJP members for raising the issue after JD(U) parted ways with it last week.
BJD member in the committee, B Mahtab read out the rules to BJP members which state that the petitioner should be given "affordable time" to present his case. He told BJP members not to press for an early decision.
Chacko accepted Yadav`s plea for more time and postponed the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Donald Trump wins Washington state Republican primary
- Sexism row: Rajiv Shukla to take up Chris Gayle's issue with BCCI, RCB management
- Picture blast! 'Housefull3' gang gate-crashed Asin's house at midnight
- Kseeb.kar.nic.in & Karresults.nic.in KSEEB 2nd II PUC Results 2016: Karnataka Board 12th XII Class, Second II PUC Exam Results 2016 to be announced today on May 25, 2016 at 4 PM
- Online petition seeking Raghuram Rajan's 2nd term goes viral; 42,000 votes and counting