BJP for official celebration of `Telangana Liberation Day`
Hyderabad: BJP Andhra Pradesh unit today
demanded that the "Telangana Liberation Day" on September 17
be celebrated officially by the state government.
All programmes on September 17 should be celebrated
officially as Telangana region was freed from the clutches of
erstwhile Nizam rule, one year after the Independence,
Chairman BJP Telangana Struggle Committee (TSC) T Rajeshwar
Rao told reporters here.
He appealed to leaders of ruling Congress party, TDP and
left parties of Telangana region to join in the celebrations
and take pledge to achieve separate statehood for Telangana.
"If Congress party is sincere about separate Telangana
state, it should move a bill in the on-going session and our
party will support it," Rao said.
The party would launch an 11-day yatra from August 26 in
five districts of south Telangana to express solidarity with
the families of those who sacrificed their lives for the cause
of separate state, TSC chairman said.
Of the 400 people who committed suicide in support of
Telangana state, 75 persons, including students, hailed from
five districts of south Telangana, Rao claimed.
Party legislator Lakshminarayana, who defeated APCC
president D Srinivas in recent Assembly bypolls in Telangana
region, would lead the yatra in which state unit president G
Kishan Reddy and other leaders would participate.
The yatra would be flagged off by Lakshminarayana in
Nalgonda, Rao said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter