BJP for official celebration of `Telangana Liberation Day`
Hyderabad: BJP Andhra Pradesh unit today
demanded that the "Telangana Liberation Day" on September 17
be celebrated officially by the state government.
All programmes on September 17 should be celebrated
officially as Telangana region was freed from the clutches of
erstwhile Nizam rule, one year after the Independence,
Chairman BJP Telangana Struggle Committee (TSC) T Rajeshwar
Rao told reporters here.
He appealed to leaders of ruling Congress party, TDP and
left parties of Telangana region to join in the celebrations
and take pledge to achieve separate statehood for Telangana.
"If Congress party is sincere about separate Telangana
state, it should move a bill in the on-going session and our
party will support it," Rao said.
The party would launch an 11-day yatra from August 26 in
five districts of south Telangana to express solidarity with
the families of those who sacrificed their lives for the cause
of separate state, TSC chairman said.
Of the 400 people who committed suicide in support of
Telangana state, 75 persons, including students, hailed from
five districts of south Telangana, Rao claimed.
Party legislator Lakshminarayana, who defeated APCC
president D Srinivas in recent Assembly bypolls in Telangana
region, would lead the yatra in which state unit president G
Kishan Reddy and other leaders would participate.
The yatra would be flagged off by Lakshminarayana in
Nalgonda, Rao said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi