BJP forms election committees, announcement likely today
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) is on Friday expected to announce that it has set up 11 committees which will focus on various aspects of electioneering, including organising of rallies and reaching out to the youth, ahead of the 2014 General Elections.
The decision to form the committees was taken yesterday and an official announcement to this effect is expected to be made today by party president Rajnath Singh.
The decision was taken at a meeting of the Parliamentary Board, BJP`s top policy-making body, which was attended by Narendra Modi, the Election Campaign Committee chief, besides others.
The ground work for these committees was prepared at four-hour marathon one-on-one meeting between Rajnath and Modi here on Wednesday night, sources said.
The Parliamentary Board, where L K Advani was also present, deliberated for about two hours over the allocation of responsibilities among party general secretaries and other senior leaders in run up to the General Elections next year.
The eleven committees will deal with conduct of rallies, public meetings; preparation of the manifesto; publicity literature, advertisement and media management; reaching out to various sections of the society-youth, women, professionals, rural and urban voters; campaign through social media; campaign programme of leaders and their travel plans; logistics and so on.
While general secretaries have been given charge of states and organisational responsibilities, the new list is likely to be about their roles and functions. An attempt has been made to ensure a collective role for all the senior leaders and to ensure that no feathers are ruffled, sources said.
The Parliamentary Board had earlier authorised the BJP president and Modi to form these committees and appoint the members.
The views of the Board will be given due respect while finalising the names, sources said.
The party is expected to name election in-charges and campaign heads for the Assembly polls to be held in Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh and Delhi. However, it is unlikely that Leader of the Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj and her Rajya Sabha counterpart Arun Jaitley will head any of them, as was speculated in the media.
However, senior leaders will be involved in the overall campaign to these election-bound states.
Nitin Gadkari has reportedly turned down the offer to head the poll campaign for Delhi as BJP`s prospects are grim and being a former president of the party he feels it is a minor responsibility.
Gadkari wanted the charge of Rajasthan also if Delhi was given to him.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Haryana to be open-defecation free by December 2017: Khattar
- Earth's ancient magnetic field had more than two poles!
- VIDEOS: MS Dhoni's wife Sakshi shares her adorable moments with daughter Ziva
- 26/11 mastermind Hafiz Saeed announces 'jihad to free Pakistani rivers from India'
- Chinese ship inaugurates expanded Panama Canal