BJP fumes over Arun Jaitley`s phone surveillance
New Delhi: The BJP on Saturday demanded an explanation from Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde on the alleged "unauthorised surveillance" on its leader Arun Jaitley even as an arrested constable said he collected the call details for personal reasons.
Calling it a serious issue, the BJP said Shinde must come clean on who ordered the procurement of Jaitley`s phone call details.
Jaitley is Leader of Opposition in the Upper House of Parliament.
"The manner in which the call details have been collected is serious. Anyone who is found involved in this act must be punished," Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) president Rajnath Singh said here.
Jaitley`s call records were allegedly accessed by Arvind Dabas, a 32-year-old Delhi Police constable, to check his communication with an Uttrakhand leader who had assured him to settle his property deal in Uttrakhand through Jaitley.
Dabas, who was arrested on Friday for his alleged involvement in trying to access Jaitley`s mobile call records, told investigators that a leader of Uttrakhand had assured him of providing money which was blocked in a real estate business in Uttrakhand.
Dabas is running a real estate business with two other friends in Uttrakhand, but his money was blocked in a case. The leader assured him that his money will be given and his work will be done as he was well known to Jaitley.
But BJP spokesperson Prakash Javedkar alleged that attempts to secure Jaitley`s call details were made earlier also.
"We want to know on whose order the call details were collected," he told reporters.
"We want to remind the Congress that these are not the days of the Emergency that they can indulge in such an activity. We will not take it lying down," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray