BJP has over 100 contenders for PM’s post: Rawat
New Delhi: Minister of State for Agriculture and Parliamentary Affairs Harish Rawat on Monday poked fun at the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)-led National Democratic Alliance (NDA), saying the main opposition party has more than 100 contenders for the prestigious post of the Prime Minister.
Rawat expressed confidence that the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA) would once again form the government at the Centre in 2014.
"The BJP has more than 100 contenders for the post of the Prime Minister. But in reality, they will only keep running and never reach there. They should always remember one thing that this country will choose a candidate who is secular and liberal," said Rawat.
"The BJP or its alliance partners do not have any person with such credentials. A few, which are there in its allies, are forgotten and are subservient to the major partner, the BJP. So, the next government will also be of the UPA," he added.
Several senior leaders of NDA, including senior BJP leaders Lal Krishna Advani, Sushma Swaraj, Arun Jaitley, Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi and Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar feature in the list of Prime Ministerial candidate.
The BJP has, however, so far said that there is no rift among NDA partners on the issue of Prime Ministerial candidate for the 2014 General Elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Rio Olympics bid farewell as athletes sign-off with a colorful closing ceremony
- Athletes’ Report Card: See how the Indian athletes performed at the 2016 Olympic Games
- Over 400 flights grounded as Tokyo prepares to take a direct hit from typhoon
- Kamal Haasan to be conferred French award
- New laser created from jellyfish proteins