BJP hits out at Chidambaram, calls Narendra Modi a `unifying force`
New Delhi: The Bharatiya Janata Party on Tuesday hit out at P Chidambaram for his remarks on Narendra Modi dividing the party leadership, saying the Congress leader has a "double chequered" history for his role as Finance Minister and his earlier stint as Home Minister.
BJP spokesperson Meenakshi Lekhi said Chidambaram`s acknowledgement in a media interview yesterday that Modi has united the rank and file shows he has accepted the fact that the Gujarat Chief Minister is a "unifying force".
However, the main opposition is miffed at Chidambaram`s views in an interview to a news agency that the party leaders are still divided. The BJP also maintained that it would be a gross exaggeration to say that Modi will win in every state.
"Jealousy is also a form of appreciation," Lekhi said when asked about Chidambaram`s comments.
The BJP attacked Chidambaram for the "massive unemployment" in the country and other economic issues as well as for his role as the Home Minister, where the main opposition alleged that the affidavit of Ishrat Jahan was changed during his tenure.
"BJP is very concerned about the massive unemployment problem faced by tens of millions of young people in the country today. Over the last nine years, the UPA government has not initiated a single large infrastructure project that could create jobs on the scale required by the 2001 census," Lekhi said.
She claimed while the NDA government had created 60.7 million jobs in six years, the UPA dispensation has managed to give jobs to only 2.7 million people.
"The crisis that the country is going through is a symptom of the bad policies of UPA," Lekhi said.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- No instances of incursions by Chinese troops into Indian territory: Manohar Parrikar
- Haryana government strips former CM Bhupinder Singh Hooda off cabinet rank
- US President Barack Obama hosts jazz concert at `Blues House`
- Will never talk about my personal life, boyfriend: Sonam Kapoor
- PeeCee's day out! Priyanka Chopra spends candid time with besties – Pictures inside