BJP hits out at UPA on anniversary, calls it a failure
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: As the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government celebrated the fourth anniversary of its second avatar, the BJP on Wednesday hit out at the coalition, dubbing it a failure.
Speaking at a press briefing in the national capital, senior BJP leader and Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj said the UPA leadership was divided.
Hitting out at the Prime Minister, Sushma said, "Manmohan Singh is a PM but not a leader either of the party or the country."
"UPA allies sit with the PM to discuss problems but look up to UPA chairperson (Sonia Gandhi) for solutions," she added.
The BJP leader pointed out that "coalitions need special leadership" and the "UPA hasn`t been able to provide the leadership that the country needs".
"A number of times it has happened that the government took a decision which the public didn`t like and then the UPA chairperson wrote a letter seeking a rollback of the decision."
"It has become a practice to blame the government for bad decisions, and party takes credit for the rollback," Sushma rued.
"The NDA government had handed over a booming economy to the UPA government, which even they had acknowledged in their first Economic Survey.
"However today, the economic environment is depressing and worrying... people are not investing, but only withdrawing," the BJP leader said expressing concern.
"Corruption has crossed all limits during the UPA regime... and the common man is suffering in the form of rising prices.
"Never before inflation has risen this much under any other government," Sushma said.
According to her, the UPA had failed on the foreign affairs front as well and even "small nations like Maldives were dared India".
She further noted that cases of crimes against women have risen drastically under the UPA regime.
"What are they celebrating today?" she asked, alleging that the UPA doesn`t have regard for even constitutional institutions like the CVC.
Leader of Opposition in the Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley said "never before has the country seen an environment of such gloom, pessimism, cynicism and negativism".
When asked to comment on the possibility of small parties coming together for the next Lok Sabha elections, Jaitley said, "Third Front does not exist; it is a failed idea."
Both Jaitley and Sushma skirted questions on Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi assuming greater responsibility within the BJP, and stated the party will name its PM candidate at an appropriate time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt