BJP holds govt responsible for Amarnath deaths
New Delhi: BJP on Saturday held UPA government responsible for the high number of deaths of Amarnath pilgrims alleging that there was lack of proper facilities and infrastructure for them and asked Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to work also for the interest of the majority community.
"The UPA government is embroiled in its inner conflicts and in dealing with the demands of its allies. It does not have the time and energy for handling the problems faced by Amarnath pilgrims. There have been so many deaths of pilgrims this year as no facilities have been provided," BJP spokesperson Shahnawaz Hussain said.
The Opposition appealed to Singh to also "keep the interest of the majority community in mind" and not to work only for the "minority votebank".
Hussain also demanded that the PM convene an emergency meeting to discuss the issues related to Amarnath yatra.
BJP welcomed the Supreme Court decision on the Amarnath pilgrims issue.
"We have been demanding that the time period of the Amarnath yatra should be increased. More so as the number of pilgrims has gone up," Hussain said.
He alleged that the lack of proper facilities on the way to the shrine has led to the high number of deaths.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- PSL 2016 T20, Match 7: Quetta Gladiators vs Peshawar Zalmi – Key players