BJP holds govt responsible for Amarnath deaths
New Delhi: BJP on Saturday held UPA government responsible for the high number of deaths of Amarnath pilgrims alleging that there was lack of proper facilities and infrastructure for them and asked Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to work also for the interest of the majority community.
"The UPA government is embroiled in its inner conflicts and in dealing with the demands of its allies. It does not have the time and energy for handling the problems faced by Amarnath pilgrims. There have been so many deaths of pilgrims this year as no facilities have been provided," BJP spokesperson Shahnawaz Hussain said.
The Opposition appealed to Singh to also "keep the interest of the majority community in mind" and not to work only for the "minority votebank".
Hussain also demanded that the PM convene an emergency meeting to discuss the issues related to Amarnath yatra.
BJP welcomed the Supreme Court decision on the Amarnath pilgrims issue.
"We have been demanding that the time period of the Amarnath yatra should be increased. More so as the number of pilgrims has gone up," Hussain said.
He alleged that the lack of proper facilities on the way to the shrine has led to the high number of deaths.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says