BJP in favour of National Judicial Commission
New Delhi: Expressing concern over questions
being raised on conduct of some judges, BJP on Thursday suggested
revisiting the process of their appointment and favoured a
National Judicial Commission to ensure selection of those with
"The system of judges alone appointing judges must now
change. India needs a National Judicial Commission to appoint
judges," Leader of the Opposition Arun Jaitley said, resuming
the debate in the Rajya Sabha on impeachment motions against
Calcutta High Court Judge Justice Soumitra Sen.
He said the commission`s members can be drawn from the
judiciary and executive, besides prominent citizens. At
present judges are appointed by a collegium of judges.
Expressing anguish over the "increased trend" of the
executive giving jobs to judges post-retirement, he said,"There is a possibility of retirement-eve judgements getting
influenced in search of post-retirement jobs...this is a
serious threat to judicial independence."
The Constitution provides for separation of power of the
executive, legislature and judiciary, he said.
"While there is no crossing of `Lakshman rekha` by the
executive and legislature, there is serious sidestepping from
judiciary," Jaitley, himself an eminent lawyer and former Law
Recently there were cases where courts gave comments on
how to tackle Maoism, fight insurgency and what should be the
land acquisition policy. They also commented on release of a
The courts cannot decide on these issues as they are
supposed to be dealt by the government, which alone would
decide whether to exchange an Indian prisoner for the
Pakistani prisoner with us, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan