BJP instigating communal riots, alleges Lalu
Patna: Describing the recent incidents of communal riots in Uttar Pradesh and elsewhere as "dangerous for the country and its secular fabric", RJD supremo Lalu Prasad on Saturday charged the BJP with instigating riots to ride to power in the general elections next year.
"The days ahead in the run up to the general elections appear to be dangerous for the country and its secular fabric as the BJP is instigating riots to polarise the voters on communal lines to ride to power at the Centre," he told RJD workers at a function in the party office here.
Equating the next general elections with a mega wrestling event, Prasad said that its outcome will have grave implications for the country to the extent of "endangering its unity and integrity" depending on who wins the poll.
Referring to communal riots in Uttar Pradesh`s Muzaffarnagar district recently, the RJD supremo pointedly blamed the Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s aide Amit Shah for abetting riots.
Uttar Pradesh has witnessed a series of communal riots ever since Shah took over as the BJP`s in-charge of the state, Prasad alleged and charged Shah with laying groundwork for communal polarisation to favour Modi`s prime ministerial ambitions.
He urged the people of all communities and youths to read through the Sangh Parivar`s divisive political agendas for electoral dividend in the general elections next year and refrain from engaging in any activity and violence that may mar communal harmony and amity in the society.
Prasad also raked up the 2002 Gujarat riots to attack Modi and said that he raised the issue in Parliament demanding strong action against the Gujarat Chief Minister for his failure to deal with the incident.
The then Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee wanted to sack Modi, but his `Guru` Lal Krishna Advani came to his rescue and stalled action against him, the RJD supremo rued.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report