BJP-JD(U) alliance issue: Sushil Kumar Modi to meet Nitish Kumar
Patna: In an endeavour to convince the Janata Dal (United) not to break its 17-year-old alliance with the saffron outfit, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Sushil Kumar Modi will be meeting Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar here on Saturday.
Modi is Bihar`s Deputy Chief Minister. The BJP co-governs Bihar along with the Janata Dal (United).
Nitish Kumar, who returned from a tour to Patna on Friday, made it clear that there is a strain in the ties between the Janata Dal (United) and the BJP, and said that the current situation of the coalition is very difficult.
"And we have to now decide on what to do in this difficult situation. Talks are going on from almost all quarters. On one hand, they are saying that the alliance should continue for its very old. On the other hand, the situation is such... there are difficulties," said Kumar.
"Dua dete hai jeene ki, dawa karte hai marne ki (You wish me a long life, but offer medicines that will poison me)," he added.
Janata Dal (United) chief Sharad Yadav had earlier conceded that the crisis has been stoked by the BJP`s recent decision to choose Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi to head its election campaign.
JD (U) has 118 MLAs in 243-member Bihar assembly and needs the support of only four more MLAs to reach the magic figure.
There are 91 MLAS from BJP, 21 from RJD and one each from LJP and CPI in the state Assembly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days