BJP joins SP to demand Beni`s removal
New Delhi: With the exit of DMK from UPA, BJP on Wednesday sought to drive a wedge between Congress and Samajwadi Party demanding immediate removal of Union Minister Beni Prasad Verma for his remarks against Mulayam Singh Yadav.
Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj batted for Mulayam, saying Verma has tarnished the image of the SP chief who is "a respected leader of the House. He should either prove his charges or apologise."
SP members, who were in the Well in the morning, raised slogans from the aisle when Swaraj started to speak during Zero Hour. DMK, AIADMK and CPI members were also in the Well raising the issue of atrocities against Sri Lankan Tamils.
The controversy involving a supporting party has come at a time when the government is facing a political challenge in the wake of UPA constituent DMK pulling out of the alliance on the Sri Lankan Tamils issue.
"Instead of tendering an apology, he (Verma) has repeated his allegations and added some more baseless charges today. This is a matter of privilege of the House and it should be sent to the Privileges Committee. The government should dismiss Verma immediately," Swaraj said amid thumping of desks by members of the SP, BJP and other parties.
She said that after making such "disparaging remarks", Verma has "no right to continue in office".
Swaraj said BJP and SP may have political differences, but "this is a matter of privilege of the House."
JD(U) chief Sharad Yadav and CPI(M) leader Basudeb Acharia also wanted to speak on the issue but were disallowed by Deputy Speaker Kariya Munda who immediately adjourned the House for half an hour.
During the adjournment, Congress President Sonia Gandhi spoke to the SP chief. Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde was later seen sitting with Mulayam, apparently discussing the matter.
After two adjournments during Question Hour, Lok Sabha was finally adjourned for the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22