BJP leader will be sued for libel: Uttarakhand Congress
Dehradun: Congress on Sunday rubbished the BJP`s allegation of a Rs 300 crore scam in PMGSY in Uttarakhand saying the charge was politically motivated and threatened to sue the BJP leader who had levelled the allegation for libel.
"Rural Development Minister Pritam Singh is well known for his honesty. How can BJP leader Munna Singh Chauhan allege a scam in the PMGSY under him.
"It is a baseless and politically motivated allegation aimed at harming the minister`s reputation," Pradesh Congress spokesperson Dhirendra Pratap said.
Daring Chauhan to substantiate the charges levelled against Singh with concrete evidence, the Congress leader said if he fails to do so the BJP leader will be sued for libel.
Chauhan, a former four-time MLA who is currently a member of the BJP`s state executive, on Friday had alleged a scam worth Rs 300 crore in the Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY) scheme in Uttarakhand and demanded a CBI probe.
He had alleged that 75 out of 113 road building contracts were awarded to chosen favourites without competitive bidding in violation of government of India guidelines.
"There is a huge scam in tender allotment in the PMGSY in Bahuguna government. As many as 75 contracts out of a total of 113 mega road construction projects were awarded to chosen ones close to the echelons of power on a single bid basis," Chauhan had said at a press conference here on Friday.
"Coincidentally, one of the contractors awarded the contract is also the brother-in-law of state rural development minister Pritam Singh," he said.
He also alleged that 10 to 15 per cent commission worth Rs 50 crore was also taken in the alleged deals.
Citing the rules laid down by the National Rural Road Development Agency, Chauhan had said the NRRDA clearly states that contracts should be awarded through competitive bidding and not on single bid basis.
Reacting to the allegations, the Rural Development Minister on Friday had termed the charges to be baseless and said it was a conspiracy to malign him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre