BJP leader`s killing: protesters set cop afire
Haldwani: A local BJP leader was shot dead allegedly by a BSP activist, sparking massive violence during which a policeman was on Sunday burnt alive by a mob which also torched a police station and over a dozen vehicles in Uttarakhand`s Nainital district.
Chief Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ordered a magisterial inquiry into the killing of Balwant Singh, head of Kotabagh block in the district, who was allegedly shot dead by BSP constituency incharge Neeraj Tiwari in Kaladunghi police station following a dispute last night. Tiwari was arrested.
Angry supporters of Singh attacked the police station today, setting it ablaze, and torched over a dozen vehicles, including those belonging to police and state roadways. Head constable Puranlal was beaten by the mob which threw him into the fire.
He was taken to a hospital where he was declared dead, Senior Superintendent of Police Mohan Singh Bangyal said, adding eight persons, including six police personnel, were injured in the violence.
The government has also ordered suspension of all police personnel who were on duty at the police station at the time of the killing of the BJP leader, Chief Minister`s spokesman Anil Chandola said.
A joint action was launched by police, provincial
armed constabulary (PAC) personnel and commandos who regained
control of the police station by afternoon, the SSP said.
Singh`s supporters placed his body on a road near
Haldwani Kotwali and blocked traffic. However, after senior
officials assured them of prompt action against the guilty,
the body was cremated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam