BJP leader`s killing: protesters set cop afire
Haldwani: A local BJP leader was shot dead allegedly by a BSP activist, sparking massive violence during which a policeman was on Sunday burnt alive by a mob which also torched a police station and over a dozen vehicles in Uttarakhand`s Nainital district.
Chief Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ordered a magisterial inquiry into the killing of Balwant Singh, head of Kotabagh block in the district, who was allegedly shot dead by BSP constituency incharge Neeraj Tiwari in Kaladunghi police station following a dispute last night. Tiwari was arrested.
Angry supporters of Singh attacked the police station today, setting it ablaze, and torched over a dozen vehicles, including those belonging to police and state roadways. Head constable Puranlal was beaten by the mob which threw him into the fire.
He was taken to a hospital where he was declared dead, Senior Superintendent of Police Mohan Singh Bangyal said, adding eight persons, including six police personnel, were injured in the violence.
The government has also ordered suspension of all police personnel who were on duty at the police station at the time of the killing of the BJP leader, Chief Minister`s spokesman Anil Chandola said.
A joint action was launched by police, provincial
armed constabulary (PAC) personnel and commandos who regained
control of the police station by afternoon, the SSP said.
Singh`s supporters placed his body on a road near
Haldwani Kotwali and blocked traffic. However, after senior
officials assured them of prompt action against the guilty,
the body was cremated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi