BJP leader`s killing: protesters set cop afire
Haldwani: A local BJP leader was shot dead allegedly by a BSP activist, sparking massive violence during which a policeman was on Sunday burnt alive by a mob which also torched a police station and over a dozen vehicles in Uttarakhand`s Nainital district.
Chief Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ordered a magisterial inquiry into the killing of Balwant Singh, head of Kotabagh block in the district, who was allegedly shot dead by BSP constituency incharge Neeraj Tiwari in Kaladunghi police station following a dispute last night. Tiwari was arrested.
Angry supporters of Singh attacked the police station today, setting it ablaze, and torched over a dozen vehicles, including those belonging to police and state roadways. Head constable Puranlal was beaten by the mob which threw him into the fire.
He was taken to a hospital where he was declared dead, Senior Superintendent of Police Mohan Singh Bangyal said, adding eight persons, including six police personnel, were injured in the violence.
The government has also ordered suspension of all police personnel who were on duty at the police station at the time of the killing of the BJP leader, Chief Minister`s spokesman Anil Chandola said.
A joint action was launched by police, provincial
armed constabulary (PAC) personnel and commandos who regained
control of the police station by afternoon, the SSP said.
Singh`s supporters placed his body on a road near
Haldwani Kotwali and blocked traffic. However, after senior
officials assured them of prompt action against the guilty,
the body was cremated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days