BJP leaders unhappy over Modi skipping meet
New Delhi: Even as the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) publicly defended Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi for his absence from its national executive meet here on Saturday, a party source said some senior leaders were not happy with his decision.
As the national executive meet ended here, the source said several senior leaders were unhappy with Modi`s decision to skip the meeting, which had left the party embarrassed.
Party leaders were seen grappling for excuses to explain away the Gujarat leader`s absence on Friday. Senior leaders like Sushma Swaraj and M Venkaiah Naidu refused to comment while the official explanation later given was that Modi was observing the `Navratra` fast.
Leader of Opposition in the Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley, talking to media persons, denied Modi`s absence indicated any rifts within the party.
"There is no issue between Advani and Modi. The party should work in unity. Those who spoke, made this point and rightly so. Seeing it in any other context will be wrong," he said.
According to sources, Modi skipped the meet after being upset over Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar being chosen to flag-off senior leader LK Advani`s anti-corruption `yatra`.
The `yatra` was the main issue for discussion during this meet.
The controversial Gujarat leader was recently pitched as a likely contender for the prime minister`s post in the 2014 general elections, in a US Congressional report.
The two-day national executive meet began in the national capital on Friday. While Advani`s `yatra` was the main focus, other issues that figured at discussions were land transfer agreement between India and Bangladesh, and the upcoming Uttar Pradesh Assembly polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Peter Mukerjea knew Sheena was Indrani's daughter: Report
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sheena Bora and Mikhail had different fathers?