BJP, Left, TMC demand immediate rollback of rail fare hike
New Delhi: The BJP, Left parties and Trinamool Congress today slammed the government for the hike in passenger rail fares and demanded its immediate rollback.
They termed the decision as "anti-people", saying it will further hit the common man already reeling under price rise and inflation.
The parties said instead of raising fares, Railways should have adopted other means to garner additional revenue.
The BJP said the decision to increase rail fares a few weeks ahead of the Budget Session of Parliament clearly exposes the "anti-democratic" face of the UPA Government.
"The near 20 percent hike in fares has dealt a big blow to the common man who is already reeling under high inflation," he said, demanding a roll back of the hiked fares.
Terming the decision of rail fare hike as `unjustified`, the CPI(M) Politburo demanded a rollback for non-AC travel.
The party also hit out at Railway Minister Pawan Bansal for showing "contempt" for Parliament by announcing the fare hike "just a month before the Railway Budget is to be placed in Parliament."
The CPI(M) Politburo said the hike in the fares of second class, sleeper and suburban fares was "particularly unjustified as they will burden the ordinary people who are already suffering from all-round price rise."
Trinamool Congress, a former ally of the Congress-led UPA government which held the Railway Ministry before moving out of the alliance, also termed the hike as "anti-people" and "unfortunate" and said its announcement before the budget "bypassed" Parliament.
The Congress however endorsed the sudden decision to hike railway fare saying it was "inevitable".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!