BJP looking to shut down welfare schemes, says Cong
New Delhi: Hitting out at BJP over remarks by one of its leaders that the rural job scheme had made people "impotent" and not interested to work, Congress on day sought an apology from the Opposition party saying that the comments reflected its mindset of shutting down all welfare measures.
At an AICC briefing today, Congress spokesperson Randeep Surjewala played the video clip of a TV debate during which BJP treasurer Piyush Goyal had attacked the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act saying that all it had done was to make people "impotent" and not interested in working.
"The statement reflects the mindset of the BJP that seeks to shut down all such welfare schemes and deny crores of people access to livelihood.
"(The comments) are an insult to the entire nation. We hope the BJP leaders will apologise for it," Surjewala said.
Meanwhile, defending Goyal at a BJP briefing, party spokesperson Sudhanshu Trivedi said that the comments by the BJP treasurer had been made in a different context.
"Goyal spoke in the context of economic independence of the people. He said that schemes like MGNREGA had made people dependent and they were not looking at self-employment opportunities to improve their economic condition and become economically independent," said Trivedi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?