BJP lowering dignity of nation: Sibal
Bandarsindari (Raj): Slamming BJP for disrupting Parliament over the coal block allocation issue, union minister Kapil Sibal on Friday said the opposition party is "lowering the dignity of the nation".
"They (BJP leaders) are taking such steps which are not in the interest of the country and lowering the dignity of the nation. In a sense, they are playing with the future of the country," he told reporters on the sidelines of a function here.
The Telecom and HRD minister said there is no mid-way to the situation and BJP should be open to a debate on the issue.
"It (BJP) is a political party which has no faith in democracy. We want a debate but they are opposing...They do not want Parliament to function properly...There is no mid way in such a situation so they should be open to a debate in the Parliament," he said.
When asked to comment on the Naroda Patiya riot case verdict, Sibal said, "Seeds of hatred were sown there (in Gujarat). What you sow, so shall you reap. The result is before public today."
BJP MLA Maya Kodnani, a former minister in Narendra Modi government, was awarded 28 years of imprisonment by a Special Court which also gave a life term to a Bajrang Dal leader till death in the Naroda Patiya massacre, the worst of 2002 post- Godhra riots, in which 97 people were killed.
Sibal was in the city to attend the first convocation of the Central University of Rajasthan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened