BJP may demand special session of Parl, JD(U) not in favour
New Delhi: With Trinamool Congress deciding to quit UPA, BJP sees an opportunity to corner the ruling coalition and is planning to demand a special session of Parliament to discuss the issue of FDI in retail but its key ally JD-U is not in favour of this move.
BJP feels the government will not last its full term till 2014 if Trinamool Congress goes ahead with its decision to exit the UPA.
Senior party leader L K Advani said his party would like a special session to be convened to discuss this issue, holding that the government has committed a "breach of trust" of Parliament.
The party, however, said it will consult its allies of NDA after tomorrow`s nationwide agitation against FDI in retail and diesel price hike before firming up its position.
"Yesterday`s development has destabilised the present government. It is only a matter of time that it will collapse. The present government cannot last its full term till 2014. Anything can happen before that," Advani told a news agency.
He said since the then Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee had promised in both houses of Parliament that the decision on FDI in retail would not be taken before evolving a consensus with all stakeholders, the government had committed a "breach of trust of Parliament".
"The promise had been made to both houses of Parliament by the then Finance minister Pranab Mukherjee that we will not bring FDI in retail until a consensus is evolved with all stakeholders including all political parties and all Chief Ministers. Therefore, we hold that the announcement of FDI in retail is a breach of trust of Parliament," Advani said.
He said "therefore, we would request for convening of a special session of Parliament. We will make a formal request to the President for the special session after the September 20 nation-wide bandh called by us."
Asked whether there is a need for convening a special session of Parliament, JD-U leader Sharad Yadav said there is "no need" for it as it will not solve any problem.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?