BJP may force amendments on Lokpal
New Delhi: The BJP on Tuesday decided to seek
amendments in the Lokpal Bill if its suggestions and concerns
on the legislation are not incorporated.
This decision was taken at a meeting of BJP Parliamentary
Party chaired by LK Advani and attended by other senior party
leaders, where the Lokpal Bill was discussed.
"The Lokpal Bill was discussed at the meeting. We learnt
that government is working on a new Bill on the basis of
suggestions by different political parties. Hopefully, they
are going to decide today," BJP leader SS Ahluwalia told
reporters after the meeting.
"When the Bill is discussed by Cabinet and approved and
the new bill comes up, we will see its fine print. We will see
if our concerns expressed in the dissent note before Standing
Committee and suggestions put forth in the all-party meeting
are incorporated or not. Only then will we decide," he said.
"We will see if they have incorporated all our points or
not. If we don`t find our suggestions incorporated in the
Bill, then we will be forced to move amendments in the Bill,"
The BJP leader said Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee had
yesterday called on party leaders L K Advani, Sushma Swaraj,
Arun Jaitley and Yashwant Sinha on financial reform bills and
sought the party`s support.
"After discussion, they have agreed to accept the Standing
Committee report, after cabinet earlier rejected it on the
"On the Companies Bill introduced in 2009, the government
has accepted a lot of recommendations of the corporate world
and formed the new Companies Bill. We have sought that this
Bill be sent to the Standing Committee, which gives its
recommendations before the Budget Session," said the BJP
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP