BJP may support reservation in promotion for SC/ST bill
New Delhi: BJP on Sunday indicated that it is likely to support the reservation in promotion for SC/ST bill with some amendments, saying it favours all measures for social justice provided they are within constitutional parameters.
"There seem to be a lot of hurdles in the passage of the reservation in promotion for SC/ST bill. BJP is in favour of social justice for SC/ST but within constitutional parameters," BJP Deputy Leader in Rajya Sabha Ravi Shankar Prasad told reporters.
The party also referred to the Supreme Court ruling on the issue.
"BJP is fully supportive of this measure subject to constitutional parameters," he said, when asked if the party will support the bill in Parliament.
But sources said the party wants certain provisions in the Bill to be changed and has also discussed them with BSP, which is spearheading the campaign to get it passed, and other parties.
The main Opposition also made a veiled attack on the government for not being able to bring SP and BSP to an agreement on the proposed legislation.
"We would like to know from the government that if for Walmart and FDI you could get direct or indirect support from SP and BSP, why can`t you find consensus between the two parties on reservation in promotion," Prasad said.
The main Opposition alluded to the government, SP and BSP not being keen on getting the bill passed.
"Is there some shadow boxing going on here between these parties. Government should clarify," Prasad said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India