BJP meet unlikely to make Modi 2014 campaign chief: Yashwant Sinha
New Delhi: Amid growing clamour for declaring Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi BJP`s campaign committee head, party leader Yashwant Sinha on Thursday said a decision on the leadership issue is unlikely at the Goa National Executive meet as it is too large a body to discuss it.
Virtually putting at rest reports that the announcement of Modi as campaign committee chief is imminent, he said such a decision will be taken by the Parliamentary Board.
Asked if leadership issue is the focus of the Goa conclave, Sinha told in an interview to a TV channel, "The National Executive of the BJP is too large as a body to discuss leadership issues... The BJP has already made it very clear that these issues will be decided in the Parliamentary Board."
He said the Parliamentary Board is authorised to discuss and take a decision on these issues.
The two-day National Executive meet will discuss the economic and political situation in the country and issues of foreign policy.
In reply to a question on who will be BJP`s leader in the 2014 general elections, Sinha said, "I will not go into that question right now. As far as the leadership issue is concerned, most certainly we should in good time decide who will lead us in the 2014 elections."
He was evasive when asked if Modi should lead the party as he is the most popular leader, saying, "I leave it to the Parliamentary Board at this stage."
The former finance minister accepted that it is essential for the BJP to be united. "If the impression has gone or gained ground that it is not a united front then we should try and correct that and move forward in a united fashion."
He described the pending Food Security Bill as a "disaster waiting to happen".
"It will open floodgates of corruption and the BJP should take a firm view of that," Sinha said. His party has said it is ready to support the Bill with some amendments.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM