BJP meet unlikely to make Modi 2014 campaign chief: Yashwant Sinha
New Delhi: Amid growing clamour for declaring Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi BJP`s campaign committee head, party leader Yashwant Sinha on Thursday said a decision on the leadership issue is unlikely at the Goa National Executive meet as it is too large a body to discuss it.
Virtually putting at rest reports that the announcement of Modi as campaign committee chief is imminent, he said such a decision will be taken by the Parliamentary Board.
Asked if leadership issue is the focus of the Goa conclave, Sinha told in an interview to a TV channel, "The National Executive of the BJP is too large as a body to discuss leadership issues... The BJP has already made it very clear that these issues will be decided in the Parliamentary Board."
He said the Parliamentary Board is authorised to discuss and take a decision on these issues.
The two-day National Executive meet will discuss the economic and political situation in the country and issues of foreign policy.
In reply to a question on who will be BJP`s leader in the 2014 general elections, Sinha said, "I will not go into that question right now. As far as the leadership issue is concerned, most certainly we should in good time decide who will lead us in the 2014 elections."
He was evasive when asked if Modi should lead the party as he is the most popular leader, saying, "I leave it to the Parliamentary Board at this stage."
The former finance minister accepted that it is essential for the BJP to be united. "If the impression has gone or gained ground that it is not a united front then we should try and correct that and move forward in a united fashion."
He described the pending Food Security Bill as a "disaster waiting to happen".
"It will open floodgates of corruption and the BJP should take a firm view of that," Sinha said. His party has said it is ready to support the Bill with some amendments.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India