BJP members abstain from JPC meeting on 2G spectrum scam
New Delhi: BJP members in JPC on 2G spectrum scam abstained the panel proceedings on Thursday saying unless Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Finance Minister P Chidambaram are called before it the Committee will not be able to deliver a fair report.
BJP also accused JPC chairman P C Chacko of running the panel in a "dictatorial" way.
The six BJP members in the JPC had, during its last meeting on October 11, stayed away from the proceedings accusing Chacko of failing to finalise the list of witnesses and sought the inclusion of the Prime Minister and Chidambaram in it.
"...To run the JPC unlike the parliamentary tradition and in a sort of a dictatorial way, I think the JPC is not going to deliver a complete fair report. I appeal to Congress not to sabotage every inquiry into the scandals which this government is famous or infamous for," party spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman said.
She said "I think the JPC will achieve nothing much and therefore BJP`s demand from the beginning has been that we want the FM and the PM to come in...BJP`s position as regards the JPC remains the same. We want to call the Prime Minister and the Finance Minister because otherwise the three main people who have been involved in this matter will not be inquired into."
Earlier in July and September, BJP members had stormed out of the JPC meeting accusing Chacko of being "biased" and charged Congress members of the panel with using foul language against them.
BJP has told Chacko that it will not attend the JPC meetings till the list of witnesses is finalised and the Prime Minister and the Finance Minister are summoned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened