BJP MP Hema Malini had no objection to `love-jihad`: Akhilesh Yadav
Zee Media Bureau
Lucknow: Ever since the Bharatiya Janata Party raised the issue of `love jihad` (affairs involving Muslim boys and Hindu girls) in Uttar Pradesh, the controversy has refused to die down with Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on Sunday taking a jibe at Mathura MP Hema Malini saying she never had qualms about acting in movies which showed such relationships.
Replying to queries on issue of "love jihad" raised by BJP in its Uttar Pradesh executive meet, Akhilesh said, “You hear the song of BJP MP`s film `Dharmatma`. Will it promote love or not."
The Chief Minister was referring to actor-turned politician and Mathura MP Hema Malini`s 1975 movie which also starred Feroz Khan.
The film showed the son of a Hindu gang-lord falling in love with a Muslim girl played by Hema.
The lyrics of the song that UP CM referred to go on the lines of - “Jab se tujhko dekha hai, dekh ke khuda ko maana hai. Maanke dil ye kehta hai, meri khushiyon ka tu hai khazaana (I now believe in God ever since I`ve seen you. In this belief my heart says, you are the treasure trove of my joy)."
`Love jihad` is a term coined by some Hindu groups for alleged efforts to get non-Muslim girls to convert to Islam through love affairs.
"Youth should be vigilant against love jihad. Why is the government lenient on those who indulge in such practise? Have they (youth of the minority community) got license to convert the girls of majority community," UP BJP chief Laxmikant Bajpai said yesterday addressing the two-day meeting of state party executive committee in Vrindavan.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015