BJP MP Jethmalani terms UPA-II `shameless`
New Delhi: Noted jurist and BJP MP Ram
Jethmalani on Friday slammed the ruling UPA government as
"shameless" for remaining in office even after the Supreme
Court`s criticism of it for the "laggardly pace" of probe
into the issue of black money stashed abroad in tax havens.
"Any government with any sense of self-respect would have
vacated office. They are shameless," he said, while
speaking on the topic of `Black Money in Tax Havens and
Foreign Banks: Mechanisms to curb corruption...` at a
convention here on rule of law.
"These government officials should not have been allowed
in the streets," he said, while asking the audience to read
the apex court judgement of July 4, 2011 which had pulled up
the government on the issue of black money stashed overseas.
"Everyone should read the Supreme Court judgement on this
issue and what the apex court said regarding the government`s
conduct," he said referring to the judgement delivered by
Justices B Sudershan Reddy (since retd) and SS Nijjar.
Expressing indignation over the government`s inaction to
tackle the menace of black money despite a UN Convention on
Corruption, he said it was pressure from the apex court which
was responsible for pushing the Centre to take some action.
"Stone them (the government) on public roads," he added.
However, the Government had sought review of the July 4,
2011 verdict and on September 23 justices Altamas Kabir (who
replaced Justice Reddy) and Justice Nijjar gave split verdict.
The matter is now pending before a larger bench.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena was Indrani’s daughter from her previous marriage, not sister
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- DNA: Sheena Bora's murder case- Know how the mystery unfolded!
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport