BJP MP Jethmalani terms UPA-II `shameless`
New Delhi: Noted jurist and BJP MP Ram
Jethmalani on Friday slammed the ruling UPA government as
"shameless" for remaining in office even after the Supreme
Court`s criticism of it for the "laggardly pace" of probe
into the issue of black money stashed abroad in tax havens.
"Any government with any sense of self-respect would have
vacated office. They are shameless," he said, while
speaking on the topic of `Black Money in Tax Havens and
Foreign Banks: Mechanisms to curb corruption...` at a
convention here on rule of law.
"These government officials should not have been allowed
in the streets," he said, while asking the audience to read
the apex court judgement of July 4, 2011 which had pulled up
the government on the issue of black money stashed overseas.
"Everyone should read the Supreme Court judgement on this
issue and what the apex court said regarding the government`s
conduct," he said referring to the judgement delivered by
Justices B Sudershan Reddy (since retd) and SS Nijjar.
Expressing indignation over the government`s inaction to
tackle the menace of black money despite a UN Convention on
Corruption, he said it was pressure from the apex court which
was responsible for pushing the Centre to take some action.
"Stone them (the government) on public roads," he added.
However, the Government had sought review of the July 4,
2011 verdict and on September 23 justices Altamas Kabir (who
replaced Justice Reddy) and Justice Nijjar gave split verdict.
The matter is now pending before a larger bench.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days