BJP MP returns Diwali gift to Vijay Mallya
New Delhi: Liquor baron Vijay Mallya
faced an awkward situation today when a BJP MP returned a
bottle of alcohol that was given to him as a Diwali gift by
the former Rajya Sabha Member of Parliament.
BJP Rajya Sabha MP Prabhat Jha also wrote a letter to
Mallya which says that though this gift may have been sent
to him with affection, it had no place in his life.
The letter also pulls up Mallya for not keeping in
mind the norms of "Parliament, Parliamentarians, and the
"I was surprised as by sending such gifts to Indian
Parliamentarians, even without having any acquaintance with
them, we are perhaps making fun of the MPs or treating them as
worthy of a bottle," Jha said.
"I have returned your bottle as I don`t want to feel
belittled in my own house. In my home there is still respect
for tradition and culture. Liquor is even today a problem and
not a solution for the country," he said.
Jha even asked Mallya what legal action should be
taken against him for distributing liquor.
"Delhi government has imposed a fine of Rs 5,000 on
those drinking in public, but what punishment should be given
to you for publicly distributing alcohol?" he asked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29