BJP mum over squabbling on giving a second term for Gadkari
New Delhi: BJP on Sunday parried questions over reported squabbling within the party for giving a second term to incumbent president Nitin Gadkari.
Responding to queries whether senior leader L K Advani has proposed the name of Sushma Swaraj for the president`s post, BJP spokesperson Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi said nominations for the contest will be declared at a proper time.
"We don`t have a dynasty but a democracy and there should not be any confusion over it. We have an internal democracy and constitution in the party. According to that we conduct elections from regional to national level and that election process is on."
"As the process ends we will conduct elections for national president also and proper notification will be issued for it," Naqvi said without spelling out when this will be done.
Asked whether besides Gadkari other names are also being floated for the contest, he said, "You will be told about it and the nominations also. Nothing will be done in a clandestine manner."
Denying that there is any delay in electing the BJP president, he said, "There is no delay, we are just following a process."
According to the sources, Advani, who had reservation about Gadkari getting a second term because of charges about dubious funding of Purti Group with which he was associated, had earlier suggested the name of Ravi Shankar Prasad for the post of party president.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory