BJP names Jaswant Singh to build inter-party ties
New Delhi: Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) president Nitin Gadkari on Monday entrusted senior party leader Jaswant Singh with the task of building relations with other political parties.
The announcement comes months ahead of assembly elections in many states including Kerala, West Bengal, Tamil Nadu and Assam where the BJP is expected to look for alliances.
According to BJP sources, the party is keen to strengthen the National Democratic Alliance (NDA), which has shrunk since the BJP-led NDA lost the 2009 Lok Sabha election.
Among the parties that have moved away from the BJP are the Indian National Lok Dal (INLD), Biju Janata Dal (BJD), Telugu Desam Party (TDP) and various groups in Tamil Nadu.
The sources said the decision to name Jaswant Singh, MP from Darjeeling, must also be seen in the context of the opposition`s persistence for a Joint Parliamentary Committee (JPC) to probe the 2G spectrum scam.
The entire winter session of Parliament was washed out on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state