BJP names Jaswant Singh to build inter-party ties
New Delhi: Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) president Nitin Gadkari on Monday entrusted senior party leader Jaswant Singh with the task of building relations with other political parties.
The announcement comes months ahead of assembly elections in many states including Kerala, West Bengal, Tamil Nadu and Assam where the BJP is expected to look for alliances.
According to BJP sources, the party is keen to strengthen the National Democratic Alliance (NDA), which has shrunk since the BJP-led NDA lost the 2009 Lok Sabha election.
Among the parties that have moved away from the BJP are the Indian National Lok Dal (INLD), Biju Janata Dal (BJD), Telugu Desam Party (TDP) and various groups in Tamil Nadu.
The sources said the decision to name Jaswant Singh, MP from Darjeeling, must also be seen in the context of the opposition`s persistence for a Joint Parliamentary Committee (JPC) to probe the 2G spectrum scam.
The entire winter session of Parliament was washed out on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- No evidence against Mahesh Girri in NDMC officer murder: Police
- Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav, three former CMs may lose NSG security cover: Report
- Universe crowded with black holes predicted
- ISRO tells industry to enhance capacity to meet demand
- BJP dares Bihar government to ban VHP meet as Tejaswi Yadav threatens action against Pravin Togadia