BJP names Jaswant Singh to build inter-party ties
New Delhi: Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) president Nitin Gadkari on Monday entrusted senior party leader Jaswant Singh with the task of building relations with other political parties.
The announcement comes months ahead of assembly elections in many states including Kerala, West Bengal, Tamil Nadu and Assam where the BJP is expected to look for alliances.
According to BJP sources, the party is keen to strengthen the National Democratic Alliance (NDA), which has shrunk since the BJP-led NDA lost the 2009 Lok Sabha election.
Among the parties that have moved away from the BJP are the Indian National Lok Dal (INLD), Biju Janata Dal (BJD), Telugu Desam Party (TDP) and various groups in Tamil Nadu.
The sources said the decision to name Jaswant Singh, MP from Darjeeling, must also be seen in the context of the opposition`s persistence for a Joint Parliamentary Committee (JPC) to probe the 2G spectrum scam.
The entire winter session of Parliament was washed out on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Amit Shah to inaugurate workshop of BJP state core committees
- Samsung likely to launch Tizen powered Z2 smartphone in India today
- Baloch leaders booked: JKNPP calls on Centre to slap sedition charges against separatists
- Earth's temperature dropped during solar eclipse
- 5.5 magnitude earthquake hits Myanmar-India border; tremors felt in Assam