BJP names Jaswant Singh to build inter-party ties
New Delhi: Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) president Nitin Gadkari on Monday entrusted senior party leader Jaswant Singh with the task of building relations with other political parties.
The announcement comes months ahead of assembly elections in many states including Kerala, West Bengal, Tamil Nadu and Assam where the BJP is expected to look for alliances.
According to BJP sources, the party is keen to strengthen the National Democratic Alliance (NDA), which has shrunk since the BJP-led NDA lost the 2009 Lok Sabha election.
Among the parties that have moved away from the BJP are the Indian National Lok Dal (INLD), Biju Janata Dal (BJD), Telugu Desam Party (TDP) and various groups in Tamil Nadu.
The sources said the decision to name Jaswant Singh, MP from Darjeeling, must also be seen in the context of the opposition`s persistence for a Joint Parliamentary Committee (JPC) to probe the 2G spectrum scam.
The entire winter session of Parliament was washed out on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Kiss Day' with these unique kisses!
- 4th ODI: South Africa vs England - Hosts win game by solitary wicket to level series
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus