BJP no alternative to Congress: Prakash Karat
Patna: Lashing out at BJP for anointing Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi as its prime ministerial candidate, the CPI(M) on Sunday alleged that the party wants to "polarise the country on communal lines" in a bid to win the 2014 general elections.
By projecting Modi as it prime ministerial candidate, the BJP has clearly set out on the path of "polarising the country on communal likes" to wrest power at the Centre in the next general elections, CPI(M) general secretary Prakash Karat told a joint convention of the Left parties.
"The BJP may try to play out communal riots and rake up issues like the Ram Temple construction at Ayodhya to woo the electorate in the run up to the parliamentary elections and seek to ride on communal polarisation for wresting power at the Centre," Karat said.
Describing Modi`s anointment as the BJP`s PM candidate as a well orchestrated exercise by the party to "whip up communal frenzy" ahead of the general elections next year, the CPI(M) leader said that the RSS chose the Gujarat Chief minister as the BJP`s face for the next general election apparently to maximize electoral gains from his `divisive` personality.
Karat claimed that the RSS had taken a final decision on Modi`s name as the BJP`s PM candidate at a meeting with the top party leaders in New Delhi which was attended among others by BJP president Rajnath Singh, who was then directed to make the announcement in this regard at the earliest.
The hectic consultations between the BJP and RSS over the decision of Modi`s candidature recently has also removed all doubts that these two entities were different as it has been established that the BJP does whatever it`s dictated by the Sangh Parivar, he alleged.
The CPI(M leader further alleged that the communal riots in Muzaffarnagar district and elsewhere in Uttar Pradesh, Nawada and Bettiah in Bihar and Kishtwar in Jammu and Kashmir were "whipped by the BJP" to polarize the country and the `Chaurasi Kosi Parikrama` and resurrection of the Ram Temple agitation were part of the BJP`s larger "divisive agendas."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks