BJP not aggressive against govt in Rajya Sabha: Yashwant Sinha
New Delhi: Lok Sabha MP Yashwant Sinha on tuesday expressed concern over the party not being aggressive enough towards the government in the Rajya Sabha unlike in the Lower House where the Opposition has not allowed the UPA to have its way on several issues.
According to sources, Sinha raised this issue at the weekly Parliamentary Party meeting and said BJP does not appear to be working in tandem in the two Houses.
He claimed that the party has pushed the government on the backfoot on several issues in the Lok Sabha while it is very cooperative in the Rajya Sabha, they said.
The Rajya Sabha has functioned on virtually on all days since the monsoon session began on August 5. It has passed the Companies Bill and other legislation and also held discussions on key issues. Though the Opposition cornered the government on the killing of five Indian soldiers by Pakistani forces and Defence Minister A K Antony`s flip-flop on the issue, it has allowed discussions on other issues.
The Lok Sabha, on the other hand, has seen the government fire-fighting with the Opposition and has failed to even get the debate going on issues like the Food Security Bill which the government was hopeful of passing ahead of the Assembly elections in five states.
Leader of the Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj has also categorically told the government that it would not support the Insurance Bill and it should not bring it in this session. Other bills- like the Land Acquisition Bill- could not be taken up for discussion and passage despite being listed on several occasions in the day`s list of business.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?