BJP not to contest Howrah Lok Sabha by-poll
Kolkata: In a move perceived as an overture to Trinamool Congress, BJP on Tuesday decided not to fight the Howrah Lok Sabha by-election on the "advice" of party national president Rajnath Singh, a few days after it declared its candidate for the constituency.
The party, however, denied that the decision had been aimed at electorally helping Trinamool Congress.
A party source said the decision not to contest the by-election, slated for June 2, had been taken by the party`s state election committee, a day after BJP national president Rajnath Singh telephoned state unit chief Rahul Sinha and discussed the matter.
The BJP had named former state president Asim Ghosh as the candidate for the contest.
"The state election committee met during the day to consider Rajnath Singh`s advice that the party should not spend its energy in a by-poll when the Lok Sabha election is likely to be advanced and may be held in November," the source said.
Rather, the source said, the party seriously pondered over the national president`s suggestion to gear up for the coming panchayat polls "in which the BJP will fare better this time."
To a question, the party said the decision not to contest the by-poll had nothing to do with helping Trinamool Congress electorally.
"We will be contesting Trinamool Congress in panchayat election. This decision should not be construed as any electoral help to Trinamool Congress," the source said.
Ghosh was asked not to file his nomination scheduled for today. Tomorrow is the last date for filing nomination for the Howrah Lok Sabha by-election.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30