BJP opposes ordinance route on food security
New Delhi: Amid reports that the government may pass an ordinance on food security, BJP on Tuesday opposed the idea saying the ordinance route should be adopted only under extraordinary circumstances and the government should not be "stubborn" on the issue.
"The government should not promulgate an ordinance for National Food Security Bill. We are opposed to the ordinance route for such an important legislation. The government should not be stubborn," Leader of the Opposition in Lok Sabha, Sushma Swaraj posted on micro-blogging site Twitter.
BJP has maintained in the past that it supports the need for a Food Security Act, but certain provisions of the pending Bill on the issue need to be amended.
"Under the Constitution, an ordinance can be promulgated only under extraordinary situations. We are not opposed to a special session of Parliament. We have also suggested that Monsoon session of Parliament can be advanced," she said.
Swaraj had suggested last week that either a special session of Parliament be called or the monsoon session be preponed.
The main opposition party is firmly opposed to the ordinance route as it feels Congress will run away with all the credit for this crucial legislation and reap electoral benefits ahead of the 2014 elections, party sources said.
BJP spokesperson Abhimanyu told reporters that legislation is the "exclusive jurisdiction and responsibility of Parliament" and ordinance should be resorted to only during "exigencies and emergencies."
He said the party is more concerned about the well-being of farmers than the Congress which "pretends" to do so. He said the party will make constructive suggestions in the Bill if it comes for discussion in Parliament.
BJP has also suggested that its Food Security Act in Chhattisgarh and the public distribution system in other BJP-ruled states is a model worth emulating for the rest of the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre