BJP opposes West Bengal`s Muslim quota
New Delhi: The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Tuesday opposed the decision of the West Bengal government to provide 10 per cent quota in government jobs for Muslims under the backward class category.
"This is a decision taken with an eye to next year`s assembly elections. Politics of appeasement is central to the politics of the Left and Congress," BJP spokesman Rajiv Pratap Rudy said here.
He said the decision will meet the same fate as the Andhra Pradesh law providing four percent reservation in government jobs and educational institutions to 15 socially and educationally backward classes among Muslims.
"I feel the decision of West Bengal government will meet the same fate as the religion-based law of Andhra Pradesh that has been quashed by the state high court," Rudy said, adding that such a decision will be in the interest of the country.
He said that BJP does not favour religion-based reservation policy.
The Left government in West Bengal Monday announced 10 per cent reservation in government jobs for other backward classes among Muslims. But in Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh High Court quashed a state law providing four per cent jobs to certain identified backward classes among Muslims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh