BJP opposes West Bengal`s Muslim quota
New Delhi: The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Tuesday opposed the decision of the West Bengal government to provide 10 per cent quota in government jobs for Muslims under the backward class category.
"This is a decision taken with an eye to next year`s assembly elections. Politics of appeasement is central to the politics of the Left and Congress," BJP spokesman Rajiv Pratap Rudy said here.
He said the decision will meet the same fate as the Andhra Pradesh law providing four percent reservation in government jobs and educational institutions to 15 socially and educationally backward classes among Muslims.
"I feel the decision of West Bengal government will meet the same fate as the religion-based law of Andhra Pradesh that has been quashed by the state high court," Rudy said, adding that such a decision will be in the interest of the country.
He said that BJP does not favour religion-based reservation policy.
The Left government in West Bengal Monday announced 10 per cent reservation in government jobs for other backward classes among Muslims. But in Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh High Court quashed a state law providing four per cent jobs to certain identified backward classes among Muslims.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know