BJP Parliamentary Board to meet Friday to decide on Modi
New Delhi: After a go-ahead from RSS, BJP today decided to hold a meeting of its Parliamentary Board on Friday on the issue of declaring Narendra Modi as the Prime Ministerial candidate for 2014 Lok Sabha polls despite opposition from L K Advani and some other senior leaders.
Despite hectic efforts to bring Advani round by Parliamentary Board members BJP President Rajnath Singh, Ananth Kumar, M Venkaiah Naidu and Nitin Gadkari, the patriarch refused to toe their line.
Not wanting to delay the announcement any further, Rajnath Singh has convened a meeting of the Parliamentary Board tomorrow at 5 PM when a decision on Modi is expected to be announced.
On a day of fast-paced developments, Ananth Kumar met Leader of the Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj, who wants the decision on Modi to be deferred till after the upcoming assembly polls to Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Rajasthan, Delhi and Mizoram.
Rajnath Singh met Swaraj in the evening to convince her on announcing Modi`s candidature but she insisted the decision be taken only at the BJP Parliamentary Board.
Gadkari arrived in the national capital late this evening and met Advani at his residence reportedly to convey RSS` backing of Modi.
Murli Manohar Joshi, who is also opposed to Modi being projected as the PM candidate, has been asked to stay back in the national capital for the meeting.
Advani, Swaraj and Joshi are expected to voice their reservations against Modi at tomorrow`s meeting. However, RSS and top BJP leaders appear to have decided to go ahead with the decision on Modi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi