BJP passes resolution on Bhopal gas tragedy
Patna: BJP today sought to exploit the issue
of judicial verdict into the Bhopal gas tragedy by passing a
resolution at its national executive meeting seeking action
against all those who let flee the guilty for the deaths of
thousands of people as also bringing to book those
Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan
proposed a resolution in this regard. Chouhan is constituting
a committee of legal experts to study the verdict so as to go
in for an appeal in the High Court seeking enhancement of the
punishments awarded to seven convicts.
The decision was taken after recent revealations that the
then Chief Minister Arjun Singh reportedly allowed Union
Carbide chief Warren Anderson to flee from the state after the
"The life of an Indian is not cheap in comparison to any
American or anybody else. The gross injustice which the
victims of Union Carbide gas tragedy in Bhopal have suffered
must make us all alive to this critical aspect. The BJP
demands that all requisite steps must be taken for expeditious
justice to the victims of Bhopal tragedy," the party said.
In his inaugural address yesterday, party chief Nitin
Gadkari had asked the Congress to come clear on its role in
allegedly providing safe passage to Union Carbide chief Warren
Anderson after the worst-ever industrial disaster in 1984.
"Why is the Congress silent on the issue? Why is Arjun
Singh silent? Why has the country not been informed about what
happened?....The silence is eloquent," BJP spokesperson Ravi
Shankar Prasad told reporters, quoting Gadkari.
A retired CBI official B R Lall had stated earlier that the
then Congress government at the Centre had tried to protect
the Union Carbide management.
There are reports that Arjun Singh, then chief minister of
Madhya Pradesh, had helped Anderson flee allegedly at the
behest of Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi.
"Anderson was booked under Section 304 IPC which is a
non-bailable offence.....Government helped the main culprit in
the accident in which 20,000 people died. Congress must
apologise to the nation," Prasad said, quoting BJP president.
He termed Congress-led UPA as "Union-Carbide Protection
Gadkari used the Bhopal gas tragedy case to argue against
the government move to pass the Civil Liability for Nuclear
"After the recent verdict on Bhopal gas tragedy, the
danger of capping the liability through such legislation has
become more pronounced," Gadkari said.
The BJP President also maintained that the compensation
given and the delay in the process was a "cruel joke".
"The Bhopal gas verdict is a cruel joke by our criminal
justice system. BJP demands that the government should again
knock the doors of the Supreme Court and aggressively seek
review of its judgement...Bhopal tragedy is the saga of
treachery, back-stabbing and betrayal," Gadkari said.
Taking a dig at Rajiv Gandhi and Arjun Singh, he further
added, "No words are powerful enough to condemn all those who
mishandled this issue."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark