BJP president Gadkari targets UPA on black money
Chennai: BJP president Nitin Gadkari
on Saturday said UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi should explain what
prevented the government from disclosing names of Indians who
had stashed money in Swiss banks.
"I want to ask a million dollar question to the
Congress party. Why are you not declaring the names of those
who have deposited the black money in Swiss bank accounts?"
Gadkari said at the rally marking the end of the BJP state
unit`s 40-day yatra ahead of the Assembly polls due in May.
He demanded that the reasons for not revealing the
names of Indian Swiss bank account holders be made public,
stepping up his party`s pressure over the issue that has come
under the close scrutiny of the Supreme Court.
The apex court had pulled up the government for
withholding information on black money stashed in foreign
banks, saying it is not just limited to tax evasion but a
"mind boggling crime" amounting to "theft" and "plunder" of
national wealth having security ramifications
Gadkari said if the black money deposited in the Swiss
Bank accounts was brought back to the country, it could be
used for interlinking of rivers.
"When NDA comes to power, we will bring all the black
money back to India and spend it for the interlinking of
rivers to help the water-starved southern states," he said.
Urging the gathering to follow former President A P J
Abdul Kalam who had advocated interlinking of rivers, he said,
"It is time for Tamilians to decide whom they want to follow
-- whether it is Abdul Kalam or Rahul Gandhi who is against
interlinking of rivers."
On the Sri Lankan Tamils issue, he said it was not
only related to Tamil Nadu but also had become a national
problem and assured support of his party in securing
fundamental rights for them.
"It is the democratic duty of Sri Lanka to give
fundamental rights to Tamils there. I assure you we will
support them in getting all the fundamental rights," he said.
He said the BJP would raise this issue in Parliament.
Gadkari also announced that BJP would donate Rs 10
lakh to his party`s Seva Committee which is working for the
welfare of the Sri Lankan Tamils.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery