BJP president Gadkari targets UPA on black money
Chennai: BJP president Nitin Gadkari
on Saturday said UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi should explain what
prevented the government from disclosing names of Indians who
had stashed money in Swiss banks.
"I want to ask a million dollar question to the
Congress party. Why are you not declaring the names of those
who have deposited the black money in Swiss bank accounts?"
Gadkari said at the rally marking the end of the BJP state
unit`s 40-day yatra ahead of the Assembly polls due in May.
He demanded that the reasons for not revealing the
names of Indian Swiss bank account holders be made public,
stepping up his party`s pressure over the issue that has come
under the close scrutiny of the Supreme Court.
The apex court had pulled up the government for
withholding information on black money stashed in foreign
banks, saying it is not just limited to tax evasion but a
"mind boggling crime" amounting to "theft" and "plunder" of
national wealth having security ramifications
Gadkari said if the black money deposited in the Swiss
Bank accounts was brought back to the country, it could be
used for interlinking of rivers.
"When NDA comes to power, we will bring all the black
money back to India and spend it for the interlinking of
rivers to help the water-starved southern states," he said.
Urging the gathering to follow former President A P J
Abdul Kalam who had advocated interlinking of rivers, he said,
"It is time for Tamilians to decide whom they want to follow
-- whether it is Abdul Kalam or Rahul Gandhi who is against
interlinking of rivers."
On the Sri Lankan Tamils issue, he said it was not
only related to Tamil Nadu but also had become a national
problem and assured support of his party in securing
fundamental rights for them.
"It is the democratic duty of Sri Lanka to give
fundamental rights to Tamils there. I assure you we will
support them in getting all the fundamental rights," he said.
He said the BJP would raise this issue in Parliament.
Gadkari also announced that BJP would donate Rs 10
lakh to his party`s Seva Committee which is working for the
welfare of the Sri Lankan Tamils.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed