BJP presidential tussle: Advani bats for Sushma, RSS favours Gadkari
New Delhi: Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) will issue a notification on Sunday for its presidential elections and Nitin Gadkari is expected to submit his nomination for the top organisational post.
Meanwhile, there are reports doing round about senior BJP leader LK Advani proposing Sushma Swaraj`s name for the post of BJP president.
Advani reportedly proposed Swaraj`s name after saying a firm no to the suggestion that Rajnath Singh be appointed as the next BJP president, reports suggest.
Other reports also stated that the RSS has given a green signal to Nitin Gadkari to continue as the BJP president for a second consecutive term.
BJP sources said RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat spoke to Advani yesterday and is understood to have discussed the party presidential poll.
Advani, who led the party`s campaign against the UPA government on the corruption plank, is one of those opposed to a second term being handed to Gadkari, who is facing charges of corruption and impropriety in business dealings.
On the contrary, the RSS is keen that Gadkari gets a second tenure as BJP chief. Keeping the tussle in mind, there is a growing demand within the BJP that the leadership issue should be sorted out soon as Lok Sabha elections are due in 2014.
Gadkari has been facing corruption charges and rebellion within BJP.
The sources said Gadkari`s continuation is likely to suit prime ministerial contenders of the party, including Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
A formal announcement of the Presidential poll result is likely to be made either on January 23 or 24.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Ahead of 'Kashmir Solidarity Day', Hafiz Saeed's JuD releases controversial video featuring Pakistani Army chief
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- VIDEO: Ambidextrous Sri Lankan Kamindu Mendis bowling with both hands
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review