BJP presidential tussle: Advani bats for Sushma, RSS favours Gadkari
New Delhi: Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) will issue a notification on Sunday for its presidential elections and Nitin Gadkari is expected to submit his nomination for the top organisational post.
Meanwhile, there are reports doing round about senior BJP leader LK Advani proposing Sushma Swaraj`s name for the post of BJP president.
Advani reportedly proposed Swaraj`s name after saying a firm no to the suggestion that Rajnath Singh be appointed as the next BJP president, reports suggest.
Other reports also stated that the RSS has given a green signal to Nitin Gadkari to continue as the BJP president for a second consecutive term.
BJP sources said RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat spoke to Advani yesterday and is understood to have discussed the party presidential poll.
Advani, who led the party`s campaign against the UPA government on the corruption plank, is one of those opposed to a second term being handed to Gadkari, who is facing charges of corruption and impropriety in business dealings.
On the contrary, the RSS is keen that Gadkari gets a second tenure as BJP chief. Keeping the tussle in mind, there is a growing demand within the BJP that the leadership issue should be sorted out soon as Lok Sabha elections are due in 2014.
Gadkari has been facing corruption charges and rebellion within BJP.
The sources said Gadkari`s continuation is likely to suit prime ministerial contenders of the party, including Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
A formal announcement of the Presidential poll result is likely to be made either on January 23 or 24.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why