BJP presidential tussle: Advani bats for Sushma, RSS favours Gadkari
New Delhi: Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) will issue a notification on Sunday for its presidential elections and Nitin Gadkari is expected to submit his nomination for the top organisational post.
Meanwhile, there are reports doing round about senior BJP leader LK Advani proposing Sushma Swaraj`s name for the post of BJP president.
Advani reportedly proposed Swaraj`s name after saying a firm no to the suggestion that Rajnath Singh be appointed as the next BJP president, reports suggest.
Other reports also stated that the RSS has given a green signal to Nitin Gadkari to continue as the BJP president for a second consecutive term.
BJP sources said RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat spoke to Advani yesterday and is understood to have discussed the party presidential poll.
Advani, who led the party`s campaign against the UPA government on the corruption plank, is one of those opposed to a second term being handed to Gadkari, who is facing charges of corruption and impropriety in business dealings.
On the contrary, the RSS is keen that Gadkari gets a second tenure as BJP chief. Keeping the tussle in mind, there is a growing demand within the BJP that the leadership issue should be sorted out soon as Lok Sabha elections are due in 2014.
Gadkari has been facing corruption charges and rebellion within BJP.
The sources said Gadkari`s continuation is likely to suit prime ministerial contenders of the party, including Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
A formal announcement of the Presidential poll result is likely to be made either on January 23 or 24.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India