BJP promises full statehood for Delhi if it comes to power
Goa: BJP on Sunday supported full statehood for Delhi in the political resolution accepted by the party at its two-day national executive meetig in Goa.
Delhi BJP President Vijay Goel rued that the statehood demand has not been met till now.
Criticising the Sheila Dikshit government for failing to make adequate efforts in this direction, he said, "Delhi`s growth is restricted in absence of full statehood and Congress has done nothing during the last 14 years on this issue.
"The Congress government led by Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit did not make any effort to get full statehood for Delhi," he said.
Goel said that the BJP-led NDA government at the centre had brought a bill in Parliament in 2003 to grant Delhi full statehood, "but Dikshit opposed it".
He said that after coming to power, the party will ensure full statehood for Delhi.
"Full statehood to Delhi would bring greater accountability, more resources and less confusion over administrative issues. Unfortunately, the Congress government in Delhi has deliberately ignored this basic need of the city," Goel said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!
- India prays for Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa; PM, Army Chief visit hospital
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch