BJP promises `pro-people reforms`
Surajkund: Committing itself to reforms which are in national interest, the BJP on Thursday said it was unfortunate that the country was being led in a direction determined by the western powers.
"BJP is committed to reforms which are in national interest. Reforms are not what western powers define them to be.... It is unfortunate that we accept the definition that foreign nations give to reforms," Leader of Opposition in the Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley said while moving the party`s Economic resolution at the BJP National Council meeting here.
The resolution demanded immediate reversal of the decision to allow FDI in multi-brand retail, cancellation of scam-tainted allotment of coal blocks since 2004 among other things.
Jaitley said that "reforms should be pro-people and it is unfortunate that the word reform is being brought a bad name.... Every change is not a reform and what goes against the grain of the country is a counter-reform and we must reject it."
Moving the resolution, Jaitley said that "every change is not a reform and some changes may end up hurting national economic interests" and cited the FDI in retail decision.
It said that "the Government was expected to carry pro-people reforms like bringing back blackmoney and taking tough decisions against corruption, instead it is advertising its anti-people administrative decisions as big bang reforms."
"The Government had an option of large number of domestic reforms which are pending. There is a broad consensus on these reforms.”
"The government has chosen to ignore these reforms but implemented a decision which will hurt the national interest."
Jaitley also suggested that the western powers which are "dictating reforms" to India should themselves undergo some reforms like elimination of agriculture subsidy, removal of restrains on outsourcing, removal of unreasonable restriction on visas and dismantling of unfair trade barriers on products of smaller economies.
The Economic Resolution which was later adopted by the BJP National Council meet also demanded instituting an independent and impartial probe into the Coalgate scam.
The resolution also sought an immediate rollback of diesel price hike and capping of LPG cylinders and asked the government to immediately take effective steps to urgently bring down prices of fertilizers.
The BJP said if government de-allocates all coal blocks, it will add Rs two lakh crores to its coffers through auction of these coal blocks, as had happened in the case of 2G auction.
The opposition party said real reforms are needed in governance to bring in efficiency and transparency.
"We need FDI in strategic sectors and high-end technology. We should also encourage FDI in infrastructure which is facing a huge capital crunch. The government of the day has failed to arrange large public investments in these sectors,” the resolution reads.
Giving a detailed reasoning for the party rejecting the FDI in multi-brand retail, Jaitley said manufacturing sector jobs will be lost due to the decision as India has not carried significant reforms in the sector.
"International structured retail doesn’t create additional retail jobs, it merely displaces existing jobs," he said, adding that only 18 percent of Indians are in structured jobs while 51 percent of the country’s working population is self-employed.
"Structured international retail will be harmful to job creation in India," Jaitley said, adding fragmented markets are always pro-consumer but cautioned that when the markets consolidate it goes against the consumer and cited the example of Thailand where the first 12 years of opening trade for FDI witnessed 38 percent of consumer market consolidate in favour of three large retailers.
He also said that the example of China was "misconceived" as it has a low-cost economy predominantly supplying to big retailers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon