BJP promises to extend special status to Seemandhra for 10 yrs
New Delhi: Expressing satisfaction at the creation of Telangana, BJP on Friday said it will continue to fight for the concerns of Seemandhra region and promised to extend the Special Category Status to it for 10 years instead of the present five years announced by the government.
BJP leader Venkaiah Naidu questioned the silence of Congress party over not taking up the issue of Telangana creation for years and coming up with a bill in this regard only three months ahead of elections.
He said BJP had proposed to the Prime Minister to extend the concessions to Seemandhra region for 10 years to compensate it for loss of Hyderabad but it was granted for only five years and promised that after coming to power his pary would extend the special status.
"I assure you that we will extend the special category concessions to Seemandhra for 10 years. We will extend the concessions when we will come to power," he said.
The BJP leader from Andhra Pradesh appealed to people of both the regions to maintain peace after bifurcation of the state and assured them of taking care of the interests of both if his party is voted to power.
"We have no doubt that BJP will come to power. We appeal to people of both the regions. Now, division has become a reality. Let us reconcile to the fact and take advantage of whatever concessions that are given. We know you are not fully satisfied. We will make you satisfied shortly.
"In three months, this government will be out...BJP will be coming to power and we will try to do full justice to both the regions of the state...Forget the past and move forward. Seemandhra also has potentiality to become a strong state."
He also said he was a little unhappy that Parliament and the government could not do justice to the Seemandhra region and claimed it was due to BJP pressure that some concessions and package for Seemandhra region could be announced.
He said the BJP "took extra pains" and made meaningful suggestions for the benefit of Seemandhra region and compensate it for the loss of Hyderabad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal