BJP protest forces Parliament adjournment
New Delhi: The Lok Sabha was adjourned Wednesday following a ruckus when Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) MPs did not allow Janata Dal-Secular (JD-S) chief HD Deve Gowda to raise the issue of a private trust owned by Karnataka Chief Minister BS Yeddyurappa`s kin.
BJP MPs were up on their feet as soon as Speaker Meira Kumar called out Deve Gowda`s name to raise the issue for which he had given notice. The MPs rushed towards the speaker`s podium and did not allow him to speak.
This prompted the former prime minister to say: "This house cannot be run by the opposition leader due to her numerical strength. We have every right to speak in the house." He was referring to Leader of Opposition Sushma Swaraj.
He asked whether the house run at the mercy of "these people".
Gowda was supported by Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) chief Lalu Prasad and Samajwadi Party leader Mulayam Singh Yadav.
As Meira Kumar`s request to the BJP members to let Deve Gowda speak was not heeded, she had to adjourn the house for 15 minutes.
The governor gave permission Friday night to launch criminal proceedings against Yeddyurappa, as sought by two Bangalore-based advocates, Sirajin Basha and KN Balaraj, over revelations that the chief minister had favoured his close kin with prime land in and around Bangalore.
The Karnataka governor has given his nod to file a criminal case against Yeddyurappa, the BJP`s first chief minister in the south, on alleged corruption cases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi