BJP protest forces Parliament adjournment
New Delhi: The Lok Sabha was adjourned Wednesday following a ruckus when Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) MPs did not allow Janata Dal-Secular (JD-S) chief HD Deve Gowda to raise the issue of a private trust owned by Karnataka Chief Minister BS Yeddyurappa`s kin.
BJP MPs were up on their feet as soon as Speaker Meira Kumar called out Deve Gowda`s name to raise the issue for which he had given notice. The MPs rushed towards the speaker`s podium and did not allow him to speak.
This prompted the former prime minister to say: "This house cannot be run by the opposition leader due to her numerical strength. We have every right to speak in the house." He was referring to Leader of Opposition Sushma Swaraj.
He asked whether the house run at the mercy of "these people".
Gowda was supported by Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) chief Lalu Prasad and Samajwadi Party leader Mulayam Singh Yadav.
As Meira Kumar`s request to the BJP members to let Deve Gowda speak was not heeded, she had to adjourn the house for 15 minutes.
The governor gave permission Friday night to launch criminal proceedings against Yeddyurappa, as sought by two Bangalore-based advocates, Sirajin Basha and KN Balaraj, over revelations that the chief minister had favoured his close kin with prime land in and around Bangalore.
The Karnataka governor has given his nod to file a criminal case against Yeddyurappa, the BJP`s first chief minister in the south, on alleged corruption cases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what