BJP protests direct cash transfer scheme
New Delhi: BJP leaders on Friday met Chief Election Commissioner VS Sampath to lodge a protest over the government decision to pay cash to beneficiaries of official schemes, saying the announcement could influence voters in upcoming elections.
LK Advani told reporters that such announcements should not be made by a government once election dates have been declared.
"There has been announcement of direct cash transfer... The states where elections are due should have been excluded. They (government) could not have done it under the (election) code of conduct," Advani said.
Elections are due in Himachal Pradesh and Gujarat in November-December.
He said the Election Commission assured party leaders that an appropriate decision would be taken keeping "all factors in mind".
The Congress has described the government`s plan to directly transfer cash to social welfare beneficiaries as a "game changer" and a politically revolutionary step.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'