BJP protests direct cash transfer scheme
New Delhi: BJP leaders on Friday met Chief Election Commissioner VS Sampath to lodge a protest over the government decision to pay cash to beneficiaries of official schemes, saying the announcement could influence voters in upcoming elections.
LK Advani told reporters that such announcements should not be made by a government once election dates have been declared.
"There has been announcement of direct cash transfer... The states where elections are due should have been excluded. They (government) could not have done it under the (election) code of conduct," Advani said.
Elections are due in Himachal Pradesh and Gujarat in November-December.
He said the Election Commission assured party leaders that an appropriate decision would be taken keeping "all factors in mind".
The Congress has described the government`s plan to directly transfer cash to social welfare beneficiaries as a "game changer" and a politically revolutionary step.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?