BJP protests direct cash transfer scheme
New Delhi: BJP leaders on Friday met Chief Election Commissioner VS Sampath to lodge a protest over the government decision to pay cash to beneficiaries of official schemes, saying the announcement could influence voters in upcoming elections.
LK Advani told reporters that such announcements should not be made by a government once election dates have been declared.
"There has been announcement of direct cash transfer... The states where elections are due should have been excluded. They (government) could not have done it under the (election) code of conduct," Advani said.
Elections are due in Himachal Pradesh and Gujarat in November-December.
He said the Election Commission assured party leaders that an appropriate decision would be taken keeping "all factors in mind".
The Congress has described the government`s plan to directly transfer cash to social welfare beneficiaries as a "game changer" and a politically revolutionary step.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown