BJP protests direct cash transfer scheme
New Delhi: BJP leaders on Friday met Chief Election Commissioner VS Sampath to lodge a protest over the government decision to pay cash to beneficiaries of official schemes, saying the announcement could influence voters in upcoming elections.
LK Advani told reporters that such announcements should not be made by a government once election dates have been declared.
"There has been announcement of direct cash transfer... The states where elections are due should have been excluded. They (government) could not have done it under the (election) code of conduct," Advani said.
Elections are due in Himachal Pradesh and Gujarat in November-December.
He said the Election Commission assured party leaders that an appropriate decision would be taken keeping "all factors in mind".
The Congress has described the government`s plan to directly transfer cash to social welfare beneficiaries as a "game changer" and a politically revolutionary step.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog