BJP puts up hoardings in Delhi on Afzal Guru case
New Delhi: The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) has put up hoardings in several parts of the city asking the Delhi government the reasons behind withholding for nearly four years the file pertaining to parliament attack convict Afzal Guru`s mercy petition.
The hoardings have been put up along major city roads.
"The Delhi BJP has put up the hoardings across the city to ask the chief minister why Afzal Guru`s mercy petition file was kept on hold for almost four years. We want a reply from her as soon as possible," the party`s city unit chief Vijendra Gupta told reporters.
Gupta said this was also done to raise public awareness on the issue besides making the state government understand the people`s sentiments and the need to hang the parliament attack convict soon.
He also wanted Lieutenant Governor Tajendra Khanna to move Guru`s file, which was sent to him by the Delhi government two days ago.
The state government Wednesday sent the file on Guru`s mercy petition to the lieutenant governor, a day after he had sought some clarifications. The Delhi government has not opposed the death sentence awarded to Guru but has expressed concerns about law and order in the wake of his execution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?