BJP questions legal, political intentions behind FDI in insurance
New Delhi: BJP on friday questioned the "legal and political intentions" behind allowing 49 per cent FDI in the insurance sector but remained non-committal about its stand in Parliament when the Bill regarding the economic reform comes up for passage.
"We have made it very clear that we are against FDI in multi-brand retail.
As for yesterday`s cabinet decision, the Standing Committee on Finance had opposed more than 26 per cent FDI in insurance. BJP is opposed to the government`s views," party vice-president Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi told reporters.
Asked what BJP`s stand will be when the insurance bill comes up in Parliament, he said "we said FDI should be 26 per cent. There is a question mark on the legal and political intentions behind this move of the government."
After opposing FDI in multi-brand retail, BJP is concerned that it may be creating the impression of being anti-reforms. Since BJP-led NDA, when it was in power, had taken the initiative to allow FDI in insurance and pensions, a section in the party feels it should not oppose it now.
However, Naqvi evaded all questions on what BJP`s stand will be in Parliament on these issues.
Finance Minister P Chidambaram has said the government will reach out to the principal opposition to win its support.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview