BJP raises pitch on Lokpal, RS to take up first
New Delhi: The BJP appeared all set to raise
a storm in the Rajya Sabha on the Lokpal Bill with Leader of
Opposition demanding suspension of Question Hour tomorrow so
that the House resumes functioning by taking up the anti-graft
legislation, stalled in the last session.
Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley will give
a notice tomorrow for suspension of Question Hour as the party
is in no mood to give up the contentious Lokpal issue which
had led to adjournment of the Upper House on the night of
December 29 without passing the Bill.
"The reason government gave then is that it wants more
time to go through those amendments moved by the members. By
now, it has had enough time to study them," Jaitley said
today, adding that his party will demand that the Lokpal Bill
debate be the first business that the Upper House takes up in
the Budget session.
The BJP leader insisted that the opposition wants an
"adequate reply" from the government on this issue in
"Nothing on the Lokpal debate was inconclusive," he said
and maintained that logically the Bill, which has already been
passed by the Lok Sabha, should be passed in the Rajya Sabha.
Minister of State in PMO V Narayansamy had begun his
reply to the debate when the House was adjourned by Chairman
Hamid Ansari on the grounds that there was no order in the
Deputy leader of BJP in Rajya Sabha S S Ahluwalia
indicated that smooth conduct of the House tomorrow and in the
subsequent days may not be possible if the government does not
relent to this demand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...