BJP raises pitch on Lokpal, RS to take up first
New Delhi: The BJP appeared all set to raise
a storm in the Rajya Sabha on the Lokpal Bill with Leader of
Opposition demanding suspension of Question Hour tomorrow so
that the House resumes functioning by taking up the anti-graft
legislation, stalled in the last session.
Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley will give
a notice tomorrow for suspension of Question Hour as the party
is in no mood to give up the contentious Lokpal issue which
had led to adjournment of the Upper House on the night of
December 29 without passing the Bill.
"The reason government gave then is that it wants more
time to go through those amendments moved by the members. By
now, it has had enough time to study them," Jaitley said
today, adding that his party will demand that the Lokpal Bill
debate be the first business that the Upper House takes up in
the Budget session.
The BJP leader insisted that the opposition wants an
"adequate reply" from the government on this issue in
"Nothing on the Lokpal debate was inconclusive," he said
and maintained that logically the Bill, which has already been
passed by the Lok Sabha, should be passed in the Rajya Sabha.
Minister of State in PMO V Narayansamy had begun his
reply to the debate when the House was adjourned by Chairman
Hamid Ansari on the grounds that there was no order in the
Deputy leader of BJP in Rajya Sabha S S Ahluwalia
indicated that smooth conduct of the House tomorrow and in the
subsequent days may not be possible if the government does not
relent to this demand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre