BJP raps Khan for letter to Rahul on job quota for Muslims
New Delhi: The BJP on Monday took potshots at Minority Affairs Minister K Rehman Khan for writing a letter to Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi that Muslims should be given 4.5 percent reservation in jobs, saying this is being done to woo the community before polls.
"This is highly unusual that a minister has written to an MP making such a request. Normally MPs write to ministers to plead such things. This has happened for the first time. What is going on," BJP spokesperson Shahnawaz Hussain asked in reply to a question on the issue.
Noting that there is no provision for reservations on religious lines, he said Khan is demanding 4.5 percent quota only for Muslims as Lok Sabha elections are drawing near.
"For nine years, Congress was sleeping on this issue. Its love for Muslims has arisen all of a sudden as elections are coming. Khan should answer why Muslims are in such a bad state in this country. The Sachar Committee report has shown the mirror to the Congress on what it has done for minorities," Hussain said.
The BJP leader said after the implementation of the Mandal Commission report, eligible Muslims are already getting reservation under the OBC quota.
"Congress has been fooling the minorities for a long time. They should work for their welfare now," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi