BJP raps SP for demanding Muslim quota in govt job
New Delhi: BJP Friday asked Samajwadi Party how it could demand reservation for Muslims in government jobs while opposing quota for SC/ST promotion and cautioned that this may lead to the demand for reservation on religious lines in Parliament and state Assemblies as well.
"Samajwadi Party has opposed reservation in promotion for Dalits but is demanding a quota for Muslims in government jobs. On what basis are they demanding minority reservation... Isn`t this a patent case of votebank politics?" BJP Chief spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad said.
He maintained that since the inception of the Indian Constitution more than six decades ago, reservation can be given only to Dalits following Hindu religion.
"Reservation in government jobs cannot be given to Muslim Dalits or Christian Dalits. Under the Constitution, which was drafted by B R Ambedkar, only Hindu Dalits can get the benefit of reservations," Prasad said.
BJP warned that there are several "dangers" in adopting a policy of giving reservation on the basis of religion. "Doing so can also lead to MPs and MLAs asking for reservation of seats in Parliament and state assemblies on basis of religion. BJP strongly opposes this demand," he said.
The main opposition took a dig at SP Chief Mulayam Singh Yadav and said he may change his stand on reservation for Muslims if Congress brings CBI pressure on him. Yadav is facing charges of disproportionate assets which are being probed by CBI.
BJP`s Lok Sabha MPs, especially those from Uttar Pradesh, have been unhappy about the party`s support to the quota bill as they feel their upper caste vote bank is at the receiving end of this proposed legislation and the electors will leave them. SP is the clear beneficiary here while BSP will strengthen its hold over the SC voters, they felt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video