BJP recalls Rajiv Gandhi`s speech as inspiring, passionate
New Delhi: Former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi on Sunday received praise from the BJP with the party describing his speech in the 80s as "passionate" and "inspiring," while dismissing Rahul Gandhi`s Jaipur speech as that of an "opposition leader".
"He (Rahul) certainly spoke like a leader of the Opposition rather than a person belonging to the ruling party," BJP spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman said here.
Recalling Rajiv`s speech, she said, "I am able to recall when Rajiv Gandhi had taken over his role, a greater role in his party, he had spoken very passionately about how the party should get out of the hold of power brokers. It was a very, very inspiring speech, no doubt."
Referring to Rahul`s address at the Congress Chintan Shivir, she said, "Today Rahul Gandhi has spoken with a great lot of idealism. I hope he is able to implement most of the things that he said within his own party first and prove it to the country that he is able to achieve it within his own party before he probably would ever become the PM, if at all, so good luck."
On Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde`s Hindu terror statement, she said, "They first start saying saffron terror, they engage with terrorists and later on they say Hindu terror. They also would like to call BJP and related organisations and sometimes name a patriotic, nationalistic organisation such as the RSS as a terror outfit."
Taking on Shinde, the BJP leader said, "The Home Minister should better know that he cannot escape from the responsibility of bringing answers to the table rather colour of terror."
Condemning this "periodic misleading of the people in the name of terror politics", she demanded apology from the Minister. "We demand that the Home Minister retracts and also apologise for the statement," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India